Did you know November 26th is Small Business Saturday? Small or independently owned businesses play an important role in the United States economy. Small businesses create local jobs and other opportunities within the community.
Owning a small business requires hard work and dedication. If you are searching for ways to help promote local restaurants, hair salons, flower shops, mechanics, contractors, or other small businesses during the holidays, consider the following ideas.
- Know Your Community: Check out new local shops or revisit long-standing independent businesses. Join community groups on social media to learn about new or other small businesses in your neighborhood. Many small businesses use social media groups to promote sales or new products, especially during the holiday season.
- Write a Review: After visiting a local establishment, write a review of your experience. If you made a purchase, describe your product or service. If you did not buy anything, you still can leave a review. Describe the business. How did the employees greet you? Will you return? Provide honest feedback for others to learn about your experience.
- Follow On Social Media Platforms: Many stores use social media to promote new items or services being offered. If a local business has a social media presence, follow the page and share posts. Even if you did not find anything for yourself, share posts with your followers or friends. Perhaps a person on your social media page will find the perfect Christmas gift for a loved one.
- Subscribe to Newsletters: Small business owners share vital information about sales or upcoming events through weekly or monthly newsletters. Subscribing to a newsletter keeps you informed. The holiday season is a perfect opportunity to learn about discounted items for everyone on your Christmas list.
- Show Gratitude: At Christmas time, a “thank you” to employees or the owner is a great way to show appreciation for their presence in the community. Consider buying gift cards or certificates to give away to loved ones. If you are visiting a local restaurant or hair salon, tip well to show your gratitude. A small act of kindness goes a long way this time of year.
What is the best way to support Small Business Saturday? Visit one. Enjoy the different atmosphere only a small business can offer during the holiday season.