Did you know today, November 22, is Go For a Ride Day? Whether you ride a train, bike, scooter, horse, motorcycle, unicycle, or drive a vehicle, go for a ride. Step away from your computer or other technological devices and get outdoors.
How to Celebrate Go For a Ride Day
The unofficial holiday, Go for a Ride Day, focuses on being mobile. Simply get moving. If you do not have the time today, celebrate Go For a Ride Day over the weekend. Do you need different ideas on how to celebrate Go for a Ride Day? Consider the following.
- Different Route: Whether you out running errands or coming home from work, take a different route. Enjoy the scenery. Discover new areas within your city or hometown.
- Take a Scenic Ride: Spend some quality time with your family or friends. Pack a lunch. Simply go for a ride without any real destination in mind. Do not forget to take your dog alone. After a long week of busy schedules, your favorite four-legged companion will enjoy the extra quality time with you.
- Ride a Train: When was the last time you rode a train for fun? Gather your family together for a memorable experience. During the holiday season, many train companies offer a Polar Express experience.
- Go for a Bicycle Ride: If weather permits, go for a bike ride. A family bike ride is a wonderful way to celebrate Go for a Ride Day.
- Visit a Riding Stable: Have you ever wanted to ride a horse? Visit a riding stable to learn the basics. Riding stables have well-trained horses, which are great for first-time riders. After learning the basics, you can ride your horse through paths around the stables.
Regardless of how you pick to celebrate Go For a Ride Day, have fun and enjoy the activities.
Today, August 3, is National Watermelon Day. Eating fresh, ripe watermelon is the best way to celebrate the day. Gather your friends and family together. Host an impromptu BBQ and serve a watermelon as part of the menu.
Do you see people at the supermarket thumping the side of the watermelon? Do you wonder what they are trying to find? Don’t worry. Picking out a watermelon does not need to be a mystery.
Check List for Finding the Perfect Watermelon
Most supermarkets display watermelons in large, cardboard bins. As an informed consumer, finding the best watermelon may require searching through the bin.
- Check for the Right Shape: Look for a watermelon with a uniform shape. Most watermelons are round or oval. Checking the shape for smooth appearance ensures the watermelon grew properly.
- Check for the Proper Weight: A ripe watermelon feels heavy. Even a smaller watermelon will feel heavy. When picking out your watermelon, compare the weights. Check watermelons of similar size, pick the heavier one out of the bunch.
- Check for the Yellow Spot: When a watermelon rests on the ground in the summer sun, a creamy yellow spot will develop. Generally, the larger yellow spot means a riper watermelon. If the spot looks white, the watermelon was picked too soon.
- Check for the Right Sound: Tap the side of the watermelon. The thumping technique should produce a full sound. watermelon is a must.
Picking a ripe watermelon may require lots of practice. But don’t worry; watermelon is always a tasty treat. Checking for the different signs for a ripe watermelon helps in finding the perfect one every time.
Watermelons go from the field to the shipping bin. before cutting the watermelon, wash the outside layer. If you slice through the thick outer layer of unwashed watermelon, you risk pushing germs or other pollutants into the interior fruit.
Enjoy your tasty watermelon.
Are you old enough to remember the Pet Rock craze? Well, I am. When I was in grade school, I remember a classmate owning a Pet Rock. During Show and Tell, she explained all the different things the Pet Rock could do. For example, she fully believed the rock felt heavier during sleeping hours. Of course, I was skeptical. But my overactive imagination could relate the rock as a living creature.
Today, September 3, 2017, is Pet Rock Day. Originated in 1975 by Gary Dahl, the Pet Rock fad was an instant hit. Smooth stones were put in a pet carrier for the home for the Pet Rock. In fact, you still can buy Pet Rocks today at www.PetRock.com.
Celebrating Pet Rock Day
Today, you can either purchase a Pet Rock or craft one. Actually crafting the rock into different creatures may be a fun activity for the entire family.
Supplies You May Need:
- Rocks (Gather some out your drive or purchase a bag at your local dollar store)
- Googly eyes
- Pipe cleaners
- Glitter, if you are brave
The only limit to the type of craft supplies needed is your imagination.
Have fun creating your own type of rock creature. In fact, consider creating an entire rock family.
Pet Rock. (2017). Retrieved from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pet_Rock
Pet Rock. (2014). Retrieved from: http://www.petrock.com/