Thanksgiving is a wonderful time to reflect on the past, appreciate the present, and look to the future. A journal is a great way to preserve memories, explore feelings, and be creative. If you need help on writing about Thanksgiving, check out the following prompts for inspiration.
Journal Writing Prompts for Thanksgiving
- Make a list of 10 things that you are grateful this Thanksgiving. (Yes, there is 10!)
- How do you show gratitude or thankfulness to people in your life?
- What are you and your family doing this year for Thanksgiving?
- Are you hosting a Thanksgiving? Or traveling? Describe your plans.
- If cooking, what type of meal do you plan to make for Thanksgiving? Traditional? Or something unique? Why did you pick this type of menu plan?
- What is a traditional Thanksgiving dish that will not be on your dinner table? Why?
- Who are you planning to invite to your Thanksgiving meal?
- Are you using an old family recipe? Why is this dish so important to you?
- What Thanksgiving tradition do you plan to start this year?
- Why are Thanksgiving traditions do important to you?
- If you could invite anyone to Thanksgiving, who would be at your dinner table? Why did you pick this person?
- When you were a child, did your family host big Thanksgiving dinners? Describe a typical Thanksgiving from your childhood?
- Do you still incorporate things from your childhood into your own Thanksgiving? What do you do?
- What was your favorite part of Thanksgiving as a child?
- What is your earliest memory of Thanksgiving?
- Are you planning to go shopping the day after Thanksgiving? Why or why not?
- What was your best Thanksgiving ever? Why did this holiday stick out over the others?
- Write about your first Thanksgiving as a couple.
- Write about your first Thanksgiving as a family. (Yes, your cat counts as family)
- Have you ever been to restaurant on Thanksgiving? Describe your experience.
- Did you ever march or attend a Thanksgiving parade? Describe your experience.
- Describe how your kitchen smells when cooking or baking on Thanksgiving?
- How would you describe your Thanksgiving celebrations to someone from another country?
- Do you watch the Thanksgiving parade? What is your favorite part? Why?
- Do you believe Thanksgiving should receive more recognition as a holiday? Why?
Happy Thanksgiving! Keep writing!