Fall brings changing leaves, cooler temperatures, and football. Enjoying the simple pleasures with your family and friends, celebrate life.
25 Fall Activities
- Go to a homecoming football game/attend the parade and other related events
- Go tailgating
- Host a fall themed craft day
- Decorate for fall
- Go on a color tour/photograph the spectacular changing fall leaves
- Have a bonfire
- Watch apple cider being made
- Drink apple cider/eat apple cider donuts
- Go outside and jump in a pile of leaves
- Go hiking
- Collect pinecones for crafts
- Bake an apple pie from freshly picked apples
- Play football in your backyard or at the park
- Go to your local farmer’s market
- Go to the library or bookstore to find books about fall
- Spend a day reading; wrap yourself in a warm blanket
- Burn fall scented candles
- Make caramel apples
- Go on a hayride
- Host a fall tea
- Enjoy a fall picnic
- Make homemade soup on a cool day (use fresh ingredients from the farmer’s market)
- Attend a fall festival or street fair
- Host a movie night
- Make a scarecrow
Today, May 13, 2017, is Apple Pie Day. Sounds like the perfect type of unofficial holiday for me. Actually, apple pie is one my father’s favorite desserts, coming in second only to pumpkin pie. Years ago, I use to work in a bakery. From traditional the traditional apple pie to the extra sweet caramel apple pie, the variety of apple pies were always a hit.
The history of apple pie may surprise you. Apple pies actually date back to the time of Chaucer in the 14th century. The pie had unique ingredients including, good apples, spices, figs, raisins and pears, cofryn as a crust type layer with saffron to add coloring to the mixture.
Today’s apple pies are completely different with Dutch Apple, Dutch Apple Pie Cheesecake, Cinnamon Roll Apple Pie, and more. Personally, I like the traditional apple pie especially when the piece of pie is still warm. Add vanilla ice cream as a topping, I am completely satisfied.
Regardless of the type, the main ingredient remains the same: good apples. Depending on the availability, I usually use Granny Smith or Honey Crisp. But I know other people prefer to use Empires.
So tell me what type of apple pie do you prefer?
Happy Apple Pie Day!
Until next time….peace
Apple Pie. (2017). Retrieved from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_pie