Who is ready for 2022? Let’s hope 2022 brings good health and happiness to all. Are skipping the parties this year to stay home with your family? Don’t worry. You are not alone.
Many people are ditching fancy parties to stay home with family. But staying home does not mean a boring evening. With some last-minute planning, you and your family can turn New Year’s Eve into a lasting memory.
Family-Friendly Ideas to Enjoy New Year’s Eve
Your New Year’s Eve celebration does not need to be elaborate, just fun. Check out the following for New Year’s Eve family night ideas.
Food: Everyone Loves to Eat
Food for your New Year’s Eve should be your family’s favorites. The holiday only comes once a year. So, time to have some fun. Do you need some food ideas? Check out the following 5 ideas to help you plan for your New Year’s Eve family night.
- Pizza: Who doesn’t love pizza at parties? Pizza is alway a go-to take out item. Order from your favorite local pizza place. Remember to place orders early to ensure timely delivery. Or make homemade pizzas together to fit everyone’s exact tastes.
- Favorite Meal: What is your family’s favorite meal? Make the dinner together as a family to enjoy on New Year’s Eve.
- Finger Food: Make finger sandwiches. Even peanut butter and jelly sandwiches cut into fours are an excellent treat for New Year’s Eve. Spread different types of sandwiches out on a tray for everyone to enjoy. Create a picnic indoors as part of your holiday fun.
- Sweets: Serve special treats for your New Year’s Eve family night. Bake cookies, brownies, or other family favorites to rind in the new year.
- Celebration Cake: Buy or make a 2022 cake. The cake does not need to be fancy. A simple cake with white frosting and 2022 written in bright-colored frosting is perfect.
- Ice Cream: Buy your favorite gallon of ice cream or two. Create a sundae bar with different topping choices, including whipped cream, syrups, nuts, candy sprinkles, marshmallows, and cherries. Allow everyone to create their own sundae masterpiece.
Serve different family-friendly drinks for your festive evening activities. Of course, water should always be on the menu. But consider sparkling cider or punch for a midnight toast. Homemade hot cocoa is another delicious idea to add to the celebration.
Plan various family fun activities to keep everyone busy until midnight. If you have younger children, they may fall asleep before the clock strikes twelve.
- Games: Play board or card games. Sitting together and talking is great for quality family time. Remember to turn the television on to watch the ball drop.
- Video Games: Multi-player games are perfect for a New Year’s Eve family fun night.
- Do Crafts: Make paper crowns or silly hats out of construction paper for your New Year’s Eve celebration. Create themed decorations to display.
- Movies: Binge-watch your favorite movie or series until midnight. Then, turn your channel over to watch the ball drop at midnight.
- Scavenger Hunt: Hide clues throughout your home to lead to a final treasure. Plain white envelopes work well for this activity. Place a note with enough information to lead your searchers from one clue to the next. The final treasure can be a special treat, coupons for future activities, movie tickets, gift cards, or cash.
- Balloon Pop: Blow up several balloons. Write different times on each balloon. As the night progresses, pop each balloon at the specific time. Make sure there’s enough balloons for everyone to pop at midnight.
- Light Sparklers: Check with your city’s ordinances first. But light fireworks or sparklers to ring in 2022.
Make Unforgettable Memories
The best part about spending New Year’s Eve at home is making memories.
- Photo Booth: Create a photo area. Use a blanket, sheet, shower curtain, or large piece of material for a backdrop. Place different props out, including hats, crowns, beads, scarves, and cardboard cut-outs. The accessories can be homemade, or go to your local dollar store to find items. Make a point to take pictures every hour leading up to midnight. The sillier the photo, the better; remember to print your photos to place into a 2022 scrapbook.
- Time Capsule: Create a time capsule. Ask your family or friends questions. For example, what do you want to do when you grow up? The question is simple. But when opening the time capsule the following year or two, you may find the answer amusing or inspiring. Place photos, stories, or other memorabilia into your time capsule. Yes, a shoebox works as a time capsule.
- Make Memory Cards: Index cards work well for this type of activity. Ask each of your family members to write out favorite moments in 2021. You may need to help younger children. Encourage drawing. Each card is a perfect addition to a scrapbook or photo album.
- Create a Video: Make a YouTube or TikTok video saying good-bye to 2021 and hello to 2022. Share the video on your social media platfroms.
Regardless of how you celebrate, enjoy your evening with your family. Remember, ringing 2022 is a once in your lifetime event. Happy New Year!