The day may vary, but each year the second Sunday in May is Mother’s Day. The annual holiday celebrates and honors all mothers. When your mom passes away, the yearly tradition reminds you of your loss. Finding ways to honor the wonderful woman who cared and prayed for you on every Mother’s Day is possible.
If you are searching for ways to honor your mom on Mother’s Day after she is gone, check out the following list for inspiration.
Please note: “As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn income from qualifying purchases.”
- Plant A Tree: If you have yard space, plant a tree in your mom’s memory. Trees are beneficial to the environment. Consider planting fruit trees. After a few years, the tree will provide a yearly harvest.
- Plant Your Mom’s Favorite Flower: Do you remember your mom’s favorite flower? Plant flowers near your home to honor her memory. If you do not remember her favorite flower, plant a rose, peony, or other flowers that flourish yearly.
- Send Bouquets: Send your mom’s favorite flowers to another motherly figure in your life. If you cannot think of another person, send flowers to a local nursing home. Ask the delivery to go to someone who may not otherwise get any mail or gifts.
- Cook or Bake: Did your mom have a favorite family meal or dessert that she loved serving on a special occasion? Even in her absence, Mother’s Day is still a special occasion.
- Host a Lunch or Dinner: Gather your siblings or friends together to celebrate all the moms in your life.
- Make a Toast: If you host a dinner, make a toast to all the moms who are no longer at the table. Simple gestures are a comfort.
- Light a Candle: Lighting a candle is an easy way to remember your mom on Mother’s Day. What was your mom’s favorite scent? Burn a candle to honor and remember her.
- Donate: Did your mom have a favorite charity? If you do not know, donate money in her name to a local food bank, pet rescue, church, or other reputable organization.
- Make a Scrapbook: Do you have photos of your mom stored in boxes or on your computer? Create a scrapbook to honor her memory.
- Decorate the Gravesite: Take fresh flowers, an outdoor ornament, or other sentimental items to decorate the gravesite.
- Say a Prayer or Affirmation: Thank your mom for everything she did in the past.
Celebrating Mother’s Day without your mom is difficult. But with planning, you can still celebrate the annual holiday.
Happy Mother’s Day!