How is your Christmas in July celebrations going? Are you still looking for family-friendly activities to keep kids busy? Consider making ornaments from plaster. One of the best aspects of making ornaments now, you can save them to hang on your Christmas tree in December.
- Christmas themed molds or pans (The plaster does not harm them, just wash thoroughly after use.)
- Throw away containers for mixing plaster. (Remember not to pour remaining plaster down the sink.)
- Paint in various colors
- Place newspapers or other protective materials on your counter.
- Mix plaster as directed. Always add the plaster mixture to the water for a smooth and consistent mixture. (Keep in mind, the plaster hardens quickly. You need to have your molds ready to go. You can add a little extra water to provide a bit more time).
- Fill molds.
- Place hangers into your mold. (Paper clips or pop can tab work great for an instant, inexpensive hook).
- Allow your ornaments to dry.
- Gently remove the ornaments from the molds. You may need to tap on the mold to loosen the ornament.
- Paint the ornaments.
Even younger children can help with the painting process. Just do not forget to add the date on the back. The ornaments can quickly turn into a lasting treasure.