Are you looking to start a new family or friends’ Christmas tradition? From volunteering to outdoor fun, creating new traditions is a great way to celebrate the holiday season. Call a family meeting or text your friends to find your next tradition. Who knows maybe you will find more than one.
Ideas for Creating New Traditions for the Christmas Season
Before starting a new tradition, ask your friends or family members’ input. Use the following ideas as inspiration to find the perfect new tradition for the Christmas season.
Family Night or Friend Gatherings
Work, school, and other commitments take up a lot of your valuable time. Making the time to spend with family and friends is important to your well-being.
- Board game night
- Make homemade hot cocoa
- Christmas movie night
- Host a Christmas craft day
- Christmas cartoon movie night
- Dress up and go out to eat at a fancy restaurant
- Bake cookies and other goodies
- Make homemade ornaments
- Make Christmas crafts
- Pack some snacks and go look for Christmas light displays
Giving back to your community is a wonderful contribution at Christmas.
- Volunteer at a homeless shelter, soup kitchen or other community non-profit organizations
- Adopt a Family in need
- Visit a nursing home
- Collect can goods and other non-perishable items for a local food pantry
- Buy toys for community programs
Attend Community Events
Search your city’s website or other hosting pages to find different Christmas themed events in your area. Along with community events, churches offer a wide array of Christmas concerts, plays, pageants, and other activities. Even if you are not a member, most events are free or require a minimum donation to attend.
- Attend a live Nativity
- Go to a community Christmas concert
- Go to Christmas church service or midnight mass
- Attend a Santa Parade
- Attend a tree lighting ceremony
- Go to a Festival of Trees event
Host a Holiday Party
Hosting a holiday party is a great way to gather friends and family under one roof.
- An Ugly Sweater Party
- A Harry Potter themed Christmas Party/Yule Ball
- A birthday celebration for Jesus
- Christmas party for your children and their friends
- Ornament swap party
- A Grinch themed party
- A Christmas tea
Being outdoors allows you and your loved ones a chance to get away of the hustle and bustle of the holiday season.
- Go sledding
- Go skiing
- Go hiking
Gathering friends and family together is part of the Christmas season. Creating new traditions or expanding on old ones provides the perfect opportunity to enjoy activities year after year.