Are you looking to stay close to home over Memorial Day weekend? Don’t worry; you are not alone. Heavy traffic, large crowds, high gas prices, added expenses, and other factors are just a few of the reasons people choose to stay home.
Deciding to stay close to home does not mean a boring weekend. On the plus side, many of these activities are low or no cost which is perfect if you are on a tight budget. Are you searching for inspiration? Check out the following staycation ideas for Memorial Day weekend.
Please note: “As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn income from qualifying purchases.”
- Go Hiking: Check out your local trails. Get outdoors and enjoy nature.
- Go Stargazing: Grab a blanket, your favorite snacks, and spend an evening looking at the stars.
- Picnic in the Park: Pack a picnic basket or cooler and spend the day there.
- Indoor Picnic: Rainy weather? Have an indoor picnic in your living room.
- Host a Bonfire: Invite family and friends over for a bonfire. Roast hotdogs and S’mores.
- Plan a Movie-Themed Weekend: Watch an entire series of movies. For example, X-Men, Marvel Universe, Harry Potter, Star Wars, Transformers, Fast and the Furious, Indiana Jones, or Ice Age are perfect for multiple movie nights.
- Classic Game Night: Yes, video games are fun. But host a classic game night with board games.
- Host a BBQ: Prepare your favorite foods on the grill. Can you smell the grilled burgers already?
- Ice Cream Fun: Create a sundae bar or make root beer floats. If you want extra fun, make homemade ice cream. Remember, ice cream is an excellent treat after a BBQ.
- Watch the Sunrise or Sunset: Take time out of your schedule to watch the sunrise or sunset.
- Pizza Night: Host a pizza night. Order in from your favorite place. (Remember to tip generously; not everyone gets the weekend off). If you do not want to order in, make homemade pizzas.
- Create an Indoor Fort: Create a fort out of blankets, sheets, and pillows. Kids of all ages enjoy forts.
- Be a Hometown Tourist: Go to the art gallery or museum. Eat at a new café or restaurant.
- Community Event: Attend a local activity. Many communities host special events for Memorial Day weekend.
- Go on a Bike Ride: A family bike ride is a great way to spend time together.
- Read a Book: Do you have a new book to read? Go ahead, and spend your entire weekend reading your book.
- Pool Time: Do you have a swimming pool? A long weekend is a great time to set up and get your pool ready for the summer.
- Go to the Beach: Spend an afternoon at the beach.
- Go on a Virtual Tour: Don’t feel like leaving the house? Go on a virtual tour. Enjoy new locations from the comfort of your couch.
- Bake or Cook: Make a special dessert. Try a recipe from a different culture. Or make a family favorite.
- Volunteer: Do you want to give back to the community? Volunteer your time over the weekend.
- Clean and Declutter: A long weekend is a wonderful time to clean and declutter your living space.
- Crafts: Try a new craft. Paint, draw, or make something.
- Plant a Garden: Growing a garden is a great outdoor activity plus you get fresh tomatoes.
- Unplug: Spend the weekend away from your electronic devices. Unplugging for a few hours, a day, or an entire weekend is great for your overall well-being.
- Sleep: If you have been busy with work or school, catch up on sleep. Take naps or sleep in.
- Do Nothing: It’s okay not to make plans. Relax and enjoy your weekend.
Have a safe Memorial Day weekend.