Traffic, large crowds, high gas prices, and other factors are just a few of the many reasons to stay home over Memorial Day weekend. Staying home or having a staycation does not necessarily mean a boring weekend. If you are looking for inspiration, check out the following staycation ideas for Memorial Day weekend.
Please note: “As an Amazon affiliate, I earn income from qualifying purchases.”
- Go Hiking: Look up hiking trails near your home. If you are not a hiker, start out with the basic trails. The short walks are perfect for families with small children. Enjoy an entire day outdoors, pack a lunch, and take lots of pictures.
- Host a Bonfire: Invite friends and family over for a bonfire. Roast hotdogs and S’mores. Enjoy a night out under the stars. Before hosting a bonfire, check for any restrictions in your area.
- Go Stargazing: If the night is clear, just look at the stars. Bring a blanket and your favorite snack food. Enjoy a night out under the stars.
- Movie Night: Host a themed movie night. Watch Harry Potter, Star Wars, Frozen, Ice Age, or binge-watch a television series. All are perfect for a night at home. Order pizza or make your favorite snacks.
- Game Night: Dust off the board games or use your favorite video game to host a game night. For added fun, make ice cream floats, or create a sundae bar.
- Go on a Picnic: Pack a lunch and go to your local park for a picnic. A picnic basket full of sandwiches, snacks, and beverages makes a perfect lunch. If you do not know what to bring on a picnic, stop and grab a pizza. To-go pizzas are inexpensive and a great treat.
- Do Crafts: Spend an afternoon doing crafts. Paint, draw or create something to hang on your wall. Your local dollar store carries craft supplies to fit a tight budget.
- Be a Hometown Tourist: Make a list of local places to go. Try a new restaurant or café. Go to the art gallery or historical museum.
- Attend a Community Event: Many communities host free concerts, parades, or other activities for Memorial Day. Go and enjoy the local activities.
- Do Nothing: No rule states you must be busy over Memorial Day weekend. Do not make any plans. Relax and enjoy your time with your friends or family.
Have a safe Memorial Day weekend.