I am a full believer in celebrating life. Small celebrations bring lasting memories. Every day our daily schedules and commitments keep us busy. Enjoying little moments is a necessity. For fans of the Harry Potter series, myself included, today, July 31st represents the fictional character, Harry Potter’s birthday. Along with Harry, J.K. Rowling celebrates her birthday today too.
In the book, Rubeus Hagrid provides Harry with a birthday cake on his 11th birthday. The simple scene from the Keeper of the Keys immediately ushers us into the magical world of Harry Potter. Why not incorporate his birthday into a family fun night? Or invite your friends for some magical fun.
- Consider making a quick birthday cake as a special dessert treat.
- Gather the family or friends around to watch the first movie, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone.
- Make wands.
- Eat chocolate frogs.
- Create your own owl, cat, or toad.
- Have special snacks or cook an entire meal based on the Wizarding World’s cuisine.
- Make magical themed crafts.
- Need a quieter activity, reread the Harry Potter series or listen to the audio versions.
In a couple weeks, school, homework, sports and enforced bedtime routines will be part of your already full schedule. Take a moment to enjoy the little things and celebrate “The Boy Who Lived”.
Rowling, J. K., Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone. London: Bloomsbury Children’s, 1997.