Did you know November 13th is World Kindness Day? Started in 1998, the annual international holiday promotes all acts of kindness, no matter how small. Are you ready to spread kindness in your small area of the world? Here’s a list of ideas for inspiration. Simple acts of kinds create a ripple effect, never underestimate the power of a smile or small gesture.
- Hold the Door: When going into the bank, restaurant, or other business, hold the door for the person behind you.
- Offer to Help: Is there an elderly person or someone holding a baby standing in line behind you at the checkout? Offer to help unload the grocery cart.
- Pay at the Drive Thru: Buy the person’s order behind you in the line at the drive thru.
- Pay the Tab: Do you notice a young family with children, a person in uniform, or an elderly person sitting along at a restaurant? Pick up their tab.
- Pay for Someone’s Gas: When paying for your gas, pay for another customer’s gas too. This is a great gesture of kindness with the gas prices continuing to rise.
- Go to Lunch: Offer to take an elderly neighbor out to lunch or to the grocery store.
- Buy Flowers: Pass out flowers to neighbors, co-workers, teachers, friends, or family members.
- Volunteer: Offer to be a dog walker at your local pet rescue. Or help at your neighborhood women’s shelter or baby pantry.
- Donate Groceries: Buy a bag of groceries to donate at your local food bank.
- Start Cooking: Do you know a person or family who could use a home cooked meal? Cook a healthy meal for a neighbor, relative, or a friend.
- Bake: Pass out cookies or other treats.
- Call: Reach out to a family member or an old friend just to say hello.
- Extra Wash: Tape quarters (place in plastic bag first) under a lid at the laundry mat to give someone a free wash.
- Be Kind to Yourself: Engage in self-care to focus on your spiritual, physical, and mental well-being.
- Write Thank You Notes: Has someone recently made a kind gesture toward you? Write a thank you note to show appreciation.
Just smile! When out in public, a simple smile goes a long way in brightening the world around you. Happy World Kindness Day!