The first official day of Autumn is approaching quickly. In the Northern Hemisphere, the fall season brings cooler temperatures, changing leaves, and earlier sunsets. Are you looking for simple ways to celebrate the Autumn Equinox? Check out these family friendly activities to welcome the fall season.
Being outdoors is the best way to celebrate the Autumn Equinox.
- Go hiking: Check out your local, state, or national park for nearby hiking trails. Most hiking areas post the difficulty of the trail. Basic trails are great for young children or just starting to hike.
- Go on a nature walk: The fall foliage is perfect for taking pictures. You can easily turn your nature walk into a learning experience for your children or yourself.
- Watch the Sunrise or Sunset: Spend time watching the day begin or end. Sipping a nice cup of tea or hot cocoa is bonus.
- Go on a fall picnic: Pack a lunch and head out to the park for a fall picnic.
- Bonfire night: Host a bonfire for family and friends. Don’t forget the S’mores. A warm bonfire on a crisp fall evening is a great way to start the season.
- Stargaze: Spend a cool, crips evening looking at the stars. Don’t forget the hot cocoa.
- Outdoor Photo Shoot: Grab your camera or hire a professional for an outdoor photoshoot.
Doing crafts does not require a large expense. Many dollar stores have fall accents perfect for crafty use. Or use items found in nature.
- Fall wreath
- Leaf rubbings
- Center pieces
- Door hangers
- Mason jar crafts
Consider making an extra craft item to give away. A small center piece or door hanging could really cheer up someone’s day.
Make a Harvest Meal
Plan a meal with an Autumn theme. Check out your local farmer’s market for fresh fruits and vegetables. Apples, corn, squashes, tomatoes, and other root vegetables are bountiful this time of year. Turn your abundant harvest goodies into delicious dishes.
- Homemade Cornbread
- Apple Bread
- Apple Crisp
- Stuffed Squash
- Butternut Soup
- Tomato Soup
These are only a few ideas to add to your harvest meal to celebrate the Autumn Equinox.
The Autumn Equinox brings numerous changes to the landscape. Step back and recognize the changing season. Make a gratitude list. Be grateful. Enjoy the moment, winter is coming.