Are you staying home with your family on New Year’s Eve? Use the evening for quality time, host a family night. An impromptu family fun night will turn your New Year’s Eve into a lasting memory.
Ideas for Your New Year’s Eve Family Night
Not only does this New Year’s Eve ring in a new year, but it also brings a new decade. Celebrating with your family is a perfect way to usher in the new year.
Party food is essential but does not need to be elaborate.
- Pizza: Order pizza. Or make homemade pizzas to fit everyone’s exact tastes.
- Finger Food: Make finger sandwiches. Even peanut butter and jelly sandwiches cut into fours is an excellent treat for New Year’s Eve.
- Sweets: Bake cookies or brownies.
- Celebration Cake: Make a 2020 cake. The cake does not need to be fancy. A simple cake with white frosting and 2020 in writing does the trick.
- Ice Cream: Create a sundae bar. A gallon of ice cream, different toppings, and whipped cream make a simple sundae bar for the entire family to enjoy.
Serve different family drinks for the evening activities. Of course, water should always be on the menu. But consider sparkling cider or punch for a midnight toast. Homemade hot cocoa is another delicious idea to add to the celebration.
Plan different activities leading up to midnight.
- Games: Play board or card games. Sitting together and talking is great for quality family time.
- Do Crafts: Make paper crowns or hats for the New Year’s Eve celebration. Create themed decorations or art.
- Movies: Binge-watch your favorite movie or series until midnight.
- Scavenger Hunt: Hide clues throughout your home to lead to a final treasure.
The best part about spending New Year’s Eve at home is making lasting memories.
- Photo Booth: Create a photo area. Use a blanket, sheet, shower curtain, or large piece of material for a backdrop. Place different props out. The accessories can be homemade. Make a point to take pictures every hour leading up to midnight.
- Time Capsule: Create a time capsule. Ask your family or friends questions. For example, what do you want to do when you grow up? The question is simple. But when opening the time capsule, you may find the answer amusing or inspiring.
- Make Memory Cards: Index cards work well for this type of activity. Ask each of your family members to write out favorite moments in 2019. You may need to help younger children. Encourage drawing. Each card is a perfect addition to a scrapbook or photo album.
Regardless of how you celebrate, enjoy the evening with your family. You only get to ring in 2020 once in your lifetime.