Thanksgiving is the perfect time to give thanks for everything in your life. Gathering friends and family for a bountiful meal is a long-standing holiday tradition. Are you looking for a new tradition to go beyond gathering around the dinner table? Consider the following ideas:
- Donate one or two turkeys and all the fixings for a family in need
- Volunteer at a homeless shelter or other community organization
- Donate groceries or money to your local food bank
- Invite your elderly neighbor over for Thanksgiving dinner
- Unplug for social media. (Yes, wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving, but then put your device on vibrate.)
- Bake (or order) an extra pie for your neighbor, dog groomer, hairstylist, postal worker, child’s teacher, bus driver, etc.
- Stay in your pajamas, eat a buffet-style breakfast, and watch the Thanksgiving parade together
- Make homemade Thanksgiving decorations, placemats, and name tags
- Set up a craft area to occupy children while you are preparing the meal.
- Watch A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving
- Binge-watch your favorite series
- Host a Friendsgiving
- If the weather allows, get aside as a family, go for a walk, go for a nature hike, or play touch football.
- Play cards or board games
- Participate in a Turkey Trot
- Go on a trip
- Take a group photo
- Write your Thanksgiving blessings on leaf-shaped notecards and hang on a tree. Or collect them to save in your scrapbook
Spending time together is the best tradition. Enjoy each other’s company during the downtime of the busy holiday.
Just a quick note: ha“As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.”