The Thanksgiving holiday is a perfect time to enjoy for friends and family. The large family gathering brings happiness, joy and a lot of noise. Often when grownups are busy with prepping the meal, the kids lose interest. Planning activity areas will help chase away the boredoms and keep kids happy.
Provide a Thanksgiving-themed craft area. Keeping children entertained, crafts help increase imagination and fine motor skills. Children love to create. Display the craft items proudly throughout the Thanksgiving meal. Do not forget to send the prized craft home with the child.
A craft table may include:
- Construction paper
- Drawing paper
- Turkey print templates
- Popsicle sticks
- Crayons, markers, pencils, or paints
- Pipe cleaners
- Sequins or glitter (if you are brave)
- Add different forms of collage materials such as pasta, magazines, clip art, etc.
Stopping at your local dollar store will allow you to find a wide range of crafting materials at a low price.
Some children need a break from the continuous hustle and bustle of a holiday. Creating a quiet space provides a retreat from the noise.
- Designate a specific room or child’s bedroom as a quiet place. Set up cots or blanket areas for resting.
- Consider building an indoor tent with pillows, blankets, and books. Children will love the creative touch.
- Set up a children’s table with books.
- Movie area with family appropriate
Setting up a table with board games or a separate area with a gaming system is a perfect way to entertain children. Provide numerous choices. Checking age guidelines, ask parents if the game is appropriate. Ask a teen or an adult to supervise the gaming area.
Weather permitting, go outside. Take a walk around the yard or to the park. Being outdoors is a great way to build up an appetite before the big meal.
Spending extra time to set up kid’s areas benefits both you and the children. As an adult, you will be able to concentrate on the meal prep and catching up with relatives. Being social, the children get to spend time with cousins or peers.