Today, May 16, 2018, is National Love a Tree Day. How can you not love trees? They provide shade, oxygen, food, and a natural habitat for a wide range of wildlife. Now you may be wondering how to celebrate this unique holiday?
Tips for Celebrating National Love a Tree Day
Busy work and school schedules may require you to wait until the weekend to celebrate. Taking the time to notice the beauty of trees will not be a waste.
Simply spending time outdoors is the best way to celebrate National Love a Tree Day.
- Go for walk around your neighborhood.
- Sit under a tree at lunchtime
- Find a perfect tree to sit and read a book.
- Have a picnic under your favorite tree.
- Go hiking.
- Photograph trees from different angles for an art project or wall mural.
Plant a Tree
Planting a tree is a great way to recognize National Love a Tree Day. Adding a shade, ornamental or fruit tree to your landscape provides you with numerous benefits.
Arts, Crafts and More
If the weather does not allow you to be outdoors, try some arts and crafts as part of your family time to recognize the day.
- Draw or paint trees
- Make a construction paper tree with bright colored leaves
- Make pinecone crafts
- Paint with pinecones
- Make homemade bird feeders to place in your trees
- Create a greeting card with a tree to send to grandparents or elderly relatives
- Write a story about a tree
- Read a book about trees
Fruit trees produce a wide variety of tasty treats. Use the fruit as part of your meal plan. Getting your children involved with the meal will add to the experience.
- Make a fruit pie or other special dessert for dinner
- Eat applesauce for lunch
- Make homemade fruit snacks
- Break open a coconut
- Try a fresh pineapple
Having fun is the best part of celebrating everyday holidays. Take a moment to celebrate the natural wonder of trees as part of National Love a Tree Day.