Every year, the first Saturday of May is dedicated to the creative world of scrapbooking. National Scrapbook Day or National Scrapbooking Day is a celebration about preserving memories, family trees, parties and normal everyday life. The only limit is your own imagination. A scrapbook can be as lavish or simple.
Supplies for Scrapbooking
Scrapbooking supplies can basically be a wide range of material. Finding your likes and dislikes may take some trial and error. If you are first starting out and uncertain where to start, consider purchasing a scrapbook kit. Generally, a kit will contain the basic supplies to get you started. Or simply stop at your local craft store and pick out whatever catches your eye.
Some of the basic scrapbooking material may include:
- Scrapbooks, Extra Pages
- Markers, Pens, Pencils, Crayons
- Crafter’s Tape, Adhesive Squares, Designer or Washi Tape
- Clear Glue, Glitter Glue, Glue Sticks
- Die Cut Embellishments, Die Cut Machine
- Scissors or Decorative Edge Scissors
- Rubber Stamps and Ink
- Designer Paper or Card Stock
- Designer Envelopes
- Newspaper Clippings
Creating scrapbook pages or albums may be difficult in the beginning. The themes are endless.
Here are some suggestions to get you started:
- School Events, School Year, First or Last Day of School, Day Care
- Sporting Events, Practice, Game Day
- Anniversary, Engagements, Weddings,
- Baby Showers
- Birth of a Child
- Church Events
- Getting a New Pet, Celebrating Your Pet’s Birthday or Holiday
- Rainy or Sunny Days
- Day In Your Life
- Movie or Game Night
- Changing Seasons
- Family History
- Swimming Pool Fun or Lessons
Celebrating Scrapbooking Day
Are you wondering how to celebrate scrapbooking day? Here are a few ideas to celebrate the unofficial holiday.
- Do Something: Scrapbooking is all about capturing the moment. Go to the park, a local event, outdoor concert, or trip to the farmer’s market.
- Do a Photo Session: Create a scene or go outdoors to take pictures of your children, partner, friends or pets. Use the photos as part of your next scrapbook.
- Go to the Craft Store: Find the perfect items for your next scrapbook.
- Give as Gift: Purchase a scrapbooking kit for a friend, give one to each of your children to record summer fun, or provide one for a family member.
- Host a Party: Throw an impromptu gathering. As friends or family members over to share afternoon tea and create scrapbook pages.
- Family Time: Creating a scrapbook is the perfect way to get your family involved. During the creative process, ask your children the best part of the event. Recording answers may provide you with a long-term memory.
- Share Ideas: Show off your creative side on social media.
Scrapbooking is fun and easy to create. The end result of the creative endeavor is a lasting treasure.