If you are in the mid-Michigan area (or up for a road trip), go check out the Grand Rapids Lantern Festival at the John Ball Zoo. You will not be disappointed. The event is hosted by Family Fare.
The Lantern Festival started on April 19th but it runs through June 11th. The festival illuminates the zoo Wednesdays through Sundays from 7 pm to 11 pm.
If you are a non-member, like me, the cost of the ticket is $22.00. Or for members, the cost is $19.00. But trust me, the price is worth the cost. Children under the age of 2 are free. The tickets are staggered which means your ticket is for a specific time slot. But once you enter the zoo area, you are free to enjoy the exhibit at your own pace.
Absolutely beautiful set up of lanterns throughout the zoo. Some of the lanterns move which made my night.
- Easy walking area. But be aware the walk throughout the zoo area is at least a mile long.
- Wheelchair and stroller accessible.
- Beverage and food areas are open.
- The gift shop is open.
- Bathrooms are available.
Well, if you are not used to walking, the exhibit can seem long. But there are rest areas to stop and take a break if needed.
- For younger children, you may want to use a stroller or wagon.
- Dress appropriately. The weather was a little on the cooler side the night we went. So, I would take a jacket along.
- Rain or shine. It’s Michigan. There are no refunds for rainy days.
Would I go again?
Most definitely. The lanterns lit up against the evening sky were almost magical. The music playing added to the atmosphere of the evening. I would not have any objections to going to this exhibit or a similar one again.
Go check out the Lantern Festival at the John Ball Zoo. Let me know what you think of the experience.